What to Be or Not to Be

Students think towards the future and enjoy the present as the school year becomes habit.

406 Sports

Bowman Seitz, a Freshman, hopes to enjoy soccer and other activities throughout his tenure at Central.

Alex Johnson, Reporter

As fall concludes and students settle into their routines, focus drifts away from the novelty of the new year. A wide variety of thoughts in many different directions linger in the back of people’s minds. Seniors prepare for their futures, and freshmen think about their high school careers as they become accustomed to a new school.

Fr. Ben Cameron, a missionary priest from St. Patrick Church in Kokomo, Indiana, has found his life’s purpose. Fr. Cameron explains that, saying, “I was called when I was just out of college. I was called to be a religious order priest.” Many may consider Fr. Cameron lucky on this account; he is very assured of his occupation. The more important aspect, however, is being fulfilled by what you choose.

Fr. Ben Cameron is a priest who has a firm understanding of his life’s vocation. (Courtesy of St. Patrick Church, Kokomo, IN.)

It is also important to choose an occupation that contributes to others. Fr. Cameron spoke on how he believes he helps add to the places he visits. “I travel around to different churches around the U.S. and around the world to preach…to some people who have gotten away from living it [the Gospel]…I try to help people growing deeper with God,” he explained.

Bowman Seitz, a freshman at BCCHS, isn’t as rooted in his plans. “I’m not sure what I want to do yet…I look forward to doing sports…I really like biology,” he said. As a freshman, it isn’t expected to have a concrete plan for the future. High school is a time to experiment and discover. Even many people past high school dwell on their future occupation. However, when going into college or other training, it is good to have an idea of what one may want to explore.

Juliana Torres Rodríguez, a senior at Central, plans to go to college in Puerto Rico, and is currently considering several possibilities. “I am planning to major in psychology for sure and probably neuroscience….I actually only recently became fixated on it being my major,” she explained. “A lot of it has to do with people I have met in my life that struggle psychologically in different ways, and I want to help people like them. It has certainly always been something I have been interested in, though. I like to know how other people think and why they think the way they do.”

Deciding for the future is a strenuous and daunting task, given its permanence, importance, and the norms of society to decide early. While occupations and interests can change over time, it’s important to do something fulfilling. Fr. Cameron found his passion, saying, “It all works together. It’s a complete system. It’s not just a well, I believe this, and I’ll choose this other thing. But everything fits together. And it all makes sense.”