BC Chronicle

The Student News Site of Billings Central Catholic High School

BC Chronicle

BC Chronicle

Open Mic Night

Billings Central’s music director, Brandon Martinez, hosted an Open Mic Night, aiming to boost school spirit and acknowledge local musical talent.
10.27.23+Sophomores+Zoie+Weston%28left%29+and+Nora+Zeier%28right%29+preform+together+at+Open+Mic+Night+
Photo courtesy of Kari Adams
10.27.23 Sophomores Zoie Weston(left) and Nora Zeier(right) preform together at Open Mic Night
10.27.23 Senior Julia Reger-Brown sings while senior Jack Milroy plays the piano and senior Aidan O’Neill plays the drums. (Photo courtesy of Kari Adams )
10.27.23 Senior Kate Chambless(left) plays the guitar and Sam Winchell(right) sings. (Photo courtesy of Kari Adams )

On October 27th, Billings Central hosted an unforgettable Open Mic Night, bringing together a variety of talent from across the school. The event provided an opportunity for students to express their creativity and showcase their musical talents.

The event took place in Central’s basement, which was transformed with dimmed lights, seating, and curtains. Music director, Branden Martinez, commented, “It’s wonderful to see students display their musical capabilities and have this event return for a second year in a row.”

The evening commenced with an enthusiastic welcome from Martinez. The audience, composed of students, teachers, and family members, were supportive and enthusiastic.

The first act of the night was a 10th grader, Nora Zeier. Nora sang two songs by herself, Cleopatra by The Lumineers and Sweater Weather by The Neighbourhood. She was then joined on stage by 10th grader Zoie Weston and the two sang The Night We Met by Lord Huron.

Joanne Ragsdale followed Zoie, singing Billy Joel, and wowed the crowd. With her father unexpectedly playing the harmonica from the crowd, parents and students were taken back by her musical talent.

Throughout the evening, the talent on display was both diverse and impressive: from punk to folk, all music genres were represented.

Sam Winchell, performing Something In the Orange by Zac Bryan, Call Your Mom by Noah Khan, and Would You Rather by Phoebe Bridgers, was joined by Kate Chambless on the electric guitar.

The Safety Pins, comprised of Kate Chambless, Jack Milroy, Emma Bohrer, and Finley Hauk, performed Olivia Rodrigo, Trousdale, and Noah Khan.

Shane Fairbanks, Ella Fairbanks, Julia Reger-Brown, Jack Milroy, Aidan O’Niel finished the night out with an exciting performance complete with electric guitar, drums, piano, bass, and stellar vocals.

Casey Wierenga, an audience member, commented, “The talent at the open mic night was amazing. I was shocked by the diverse range of performances and hidden talent that Central has.”

The Open Mic Night was a success, leaving the audience looking forward to the next event that Mr. Martinez would host. It’s clear that the school and community’s support and appreciation for its young artists will continue to encourage and inspire more acts of creativity and self-expression.

Donate to BC Chronicle

Your donation will support the student journalists of Billings Central Catholic High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.