Winter Sports Begin in Earnest

Brianna Brandon, Reporter

It’s that time of the year again, folks. The air is numbingly cold, the Christmas decorations are out, and the holiday festivities are beginning. This time of the year also marks the beginning of winter sports, officially closing out the fall season. Central offers a variety of winter sports: boys and girls basketball, boys and girls swimming, and wrestling. The speech, debate, and drama team’s season is also in full swing. Students at Central have the opportunity to cheer on their classmates involved in these activities, boosting school spirit as well as the typical holiday spirit for this time of the year.

Sophomore Madeleine Prill is participating in swim this year. “It’s so great to be back,” she said. “The environment is so much fun, and everyone is nice. The season is looking good so far.” She also stated that there is a lot of interest in swim this year, with around 50 people total between both the boys and the girls teams. Both the boys and girls swimming teams were the state champions for the past two years, and they are determined to keep that winning streak alive.

Boys and girls basketball are also eyeing that trophy this year. Their practices started on the 17th of November, and they practiced over Thanksgiving break to prepare for the rest of the season. Both boys and girls basketball have their first game against Havre, scheduled for Saturday, December 10th. Swim also has their first meet that day, which will take place in Billings. Wrestling’s first meet started a little earlier on December 3rd.

Many winter sports unaffiliated with the school have also started their seasons. Skiing enthusiasts rejoiced.

Red Lodge Mountain opened a few of its runs on Thanksgiving. Junior Evie Reck was one of the people that hit the slopes on opening weekend in Red Lodge. Reck stated, “Though there were only a few runs open, I had a lot of fun skiing with my family. I love to ski. I love the pretty mountains, the atmosphere and powder on the trees, the feeling of speeding down the mountain.”  Big Sky has also officially opened up for skiing and had a busy opening weekend. Overall, the winter season brings different sports for every kind of athlete.