BC Chronicle

The Student News Site of Billings Central Catholic High School

BC Chronicle

BC Chronicle

Jeffery Fleming Becomes New Bishop of the Diocese of Great Falls-Billings

With the retirement of Bishop Emeritus Michael Warfel, Montana native assumes vacant position.
Bishop+Jeffery+Fleming+reverences+the+altar+at+all-system+Mass+February+2%2C+2023.+
Photo courtesy of Kari Adams
Bishop Jeffery Fleming reverences the altar at all-system Mass February 2, 2023.

Jeffery M. Fleming became the new bishop of the Diocese of Great Falls-Billings on August 22, 2023 when the resignation of Bishop Emeritus Michael Warfel was accepted by His Holiness Pope Francis. Fleming was appointed on April 19, 2022 by Pope Francis and was ordained on June 22, 2022. He has spent the past year preparing to transition into his role as the sole bishop of the diocese.

Bishop Fleming has deep roots in Montana. He was raised in the state, attended college in Helena, and served as a priest in the Diocese of Helena. “I am a third generation Montanan, so I am so grateful that I got to stay in Montana,” said Fleming. “Becoming a bishop was never something that I desired or wanted…The experiences that I have had as a parish priest, in campus ministry at Carroll College, and in the administrative offices for the diocese have helped prepare me for the variety of tasks and ministries that I will need as a bishop.”

Fleming has earned his personalized coat of arms, which signifies his new role and bears his episcopal motto. The motto he has chosen is “Go Make Disciples”, referring to the Great Commission. Fleming explained, “’Go make disciples’ is the mission that Jesus gave to His disciples in His final words. He gives that mission to each one of us. We are each called to make disciples. It isn’t optional, and it is so important. Jesus wants to know everyone and for everyone to know Him. He wants everyone to be part of His family, both here on earth and ultimately in Heaven.”

Bishop Jeffery Fleming preaches to the students of Billings Catholic Schools during an all-system Mass February 2, 2023. (Photo courtesy of Kari Adams)

Students will enjoy a special connection with the new bishop, as he has a very strong focus on the youth of the diocese. After all, he worked with young people at Carroll College for several years. “One of my biggest passions is youth ministry. I have been involved in youth ministry my whole priestly career…Our young people—you—are not the future of the Church. You are the now of the Church. You have a place in the Church, and I want to hear your stories. I want to hear your thoughts, wishes, and hopes…I will be visiting the school and our local youth ministries,” said Fleming.

Students will be exposed to personal interactions with Fleming when he visits BCCHS to celebrate all-system mass, and they are encouraged to help the bishop in his mission of making disciples and evangelizing within their day-to-day lives. “I invite each of you to continue to grow in your relationship with Jesus personally and as a part of your communities. Know that Jesus loves you and wants to know you better. You are loved and an essential part of the Church. Join with me as together we go make disciples!” said Fleming.

Donate to BC Chronicle

Your donation will support the student journalists of Billings Central Catholic High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.