BC Chronicle

The Student News Site of Billings Central Catholic High School

BC Chronicle

BC Chronicle

“You Can’t Stop the Beat!”

A Quick Review of the Musical, Hairspray!, Performed at the Alberta Bair Theater

A few weeks ago, Billings Central presented its annual musical, but Anne of Green Gables wasn’t the only thing taking the Billings stage this spring. The Alberta Bair Theater continues to show many different productions for the public to watch. Every season, the Alberta Bair has a musical series where they show a few different Broadway Musicals that have been traveling productions for a while now. On February 16th and 17th, the Alberta Bair had the cast and crew of the traveling production Hairspray! showcase their talents.

Hairspray! follows the story of Tracy Turnblad, a young high school girl in 1960s Baltimore, auditioning for a dancing spot on “The Corny Collins Show” to live her dream of dancing. While Tracy is able to break down many beauty standards and challenge racial inequality, even setting new fashion trends, she’s still not always welcome among her fellow dancers on “The Corny Collins Show.” But with the help of her friends and her supportive parents, Tracy is able to live the dream of dancing with everyone, no matter size, shape, or race.

“I loved Hairspray!” said freshman Vivian Hastings, who saw the show with her mother. Overall, Hastings enjoyed the performance and says she would recommend Hairspray! to others. “I liked that it was well put together and had some amazing talent,” she said. “I also liked that the choreography was cool and the music was super fun. It was a super fun upbeat show.”

Hastings has seen three musicals at the Alberta Bair and really enjoys going to the shows. According to Hastings, “They are so interesting. I would recommend seeing other shows at the Alberta Bair. All the shows I have seen have been super well done and fun to watch.”

Musicals are a fun pastime for anyone and everyone. Even if musicals aren’t your thing, the Alberta Bair has many different shows, from musicals to concerts to other performances. For a list of upcoming events at ABT, visit: https://www.albertabairtheater.org/calendar/.

Donate to BC Chronicle

Your donation will support the student journalists of Billings Central Catholic High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.