BC Chronicle

The Student News Site of Billings Central Catholic High School

BC Chronicle

BC Chronicle

Arts Without Boundaries Winners

Central students Lauren Tracy and Tia Schlosser receive a reward for artistic excellence.
Tia Schlosser face painting a SFC student at Running On Faith. (Kari Adams)
Lauren Tracy posing for a senior photo in Anaconda Montana. (Courtesy of Lauren Tracy)

Arts Without Boundaries is a foundation that provides a unique opportunity for students to be recognized for their artistic talents and abilities. According to the Arts Without Boundaries website, the “Standout Students” scholarship program “allows students to be nominated for achievements in visual or performing arts in addition to academic excellence and active volunteer work.”  Every year, Arts Without Boundaries chooses 40 high school students in Yellowstone County and awards them for their academic achievement, excellence in the arts, and community service involvement. Senior winners from Billings Central this year include Lauren Tracy, Brianna Brandon, Julia Reger-Brown, Kate Chambless, and Tia Schlosser.

Tracy reported that, to her, Arts Without Boundaries means her “hard work within the arts throughout the last four years of high school are being recognized.” Lauren’s chosen art medium is music, and she has been involved in the Billings Central choir throughout her high school career. She plans to continue to express herself through music when she attends Carroll next fall by participating in “some form of choir there.” As for volunteering, which is another factor used to determine award recipients, Lauren has been volunteering at her church by helping at events like the annual Vacation Bible School. Students might recognize her at school Masses, where she is part of Central’s liturgical music ministry, Moses and the Golden Calf Destroyers.

Schlosser, another recipient, prefers what might come to mind more immediately as a form artistic expression: canvas. She enjoys painting and sketching, inspired by photographs she comes across. While Schlosser is planning to continue her education with a focus on medicine, she looks forward to using her gift of painting to provide her with breaks from the intense classes she will have to take as part of her studies. Art has provided a number of opportunities for her, including involvement in Central’s Art Club.  She said  it has allowed her “to meet lots of other people in the community.” She especially enjoys working on murals and painting windows and says she will hold on to positive memories of participating in the annual 24 hour art challenge.

Donate to BC Chronicle

Your donation will support the student journalists of Billings Central Catholic High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.