BC Chronicle

The Student News Site of Billings Central Catholic High School

BC Chronicle

BC Chronicle

A Fundamental Change to the Art Department

Fundamentals of Art is a new art course integrating art and music into one class.
Branden+Martinez+guides+students+in+learning+the+guitar+for+the+class%2C+Fundamentals+of+Art.+
Ella Fairbanks
Branden Martinez guides students in learning the guitar for the class, Fundamentals of Art.

Some Billings Central students devote multiple periods over each of their four years of high school to the fine arts. Others seek only to mark the one required fine art credit off their to-do list. Now, the art department is offering a new course for either type of student. The course aims to build and expand proficiency in both visual arts (e.g., painting, sketching, sculpting, etc.) and musical arts.  

The new course, named “Fundamentals of Art,” is designed to give students a broader and more in-depth appreciation of the arts. As Central art teacher Kari Adams explained, “Our goal is to give students a chance to enrich their lives with a better understanding of how the arts are incorporated in the world and to have a greater appreciation for the arts.” Appreciation of the arts can enhance a student’s ability to think creatively, and the art department hopes that a more expansive exposure to the arts will lead to more creativity in students.

Branden Martinez, the musical arts teacher at Billings Central, said, “I am hoping students will gain a love for music that they have never discovered or that they may have lost.” The idea is that the more students are exposed to different fields and aspects of the arts, the more likely they are to find one they have a passion for. This is why Martinez is helping his students discover a variety of instruments: to help each student find their niche. “Students can learn that there is more than just listening to music and that they can learn to express themselves through music,” Martinez explained.

The arts are also a method through which students can find respite from other, more stressful classes. As Adams stated, “Our areas of teaching are more therapeutic, and our goal is to create a safe environment that students can come to express their talents.” In a turmoil-filled schedule of homework, tests, and other academic and extracurricular hurdles, music and art can be a way for students to relax and enjoy a break. Martinez shared his similarly welcoming goals for music classes. “My most important focus in all my classes is the students themselves. I try to express that they all matter, that they are cared for, and that they are loved. Creating better humans and sharing the love of Christ is my number one priority always,” he said.

Freshman Colter Euell sketches on his iPad during his Fundamentals of Art class. (Ella Fairbanks)

Another consideration that led to the creation of the Fundamentals in Art class was the burgeoning number of students enrolling at Central. “The design for the class was based on the number of incoming freshmen. We needed more space and room for the large numbers. The next three or four years are projected to have large freshmen classes,” Martinez explained. With both Adams and Martinez teaching and more evenly distributing these larger classes, they are more able to efficiently and effectively handle the class sizes.  

The Fundamentals of Art is replacing Adams’ Art I class. While this means that incoming students will receive only one semester of art instead of two, Adams explained that there are factors that ameliorate that situation. “The art program at SFC now covers many of the processes that I originally taught in my Art I course, so switching from a full year to a semester allowed me to delete some of the art making practices from the course structure. Second-year students and upperclassmen now have more options in Art to sign up for should they wish,” Adams said.

Donate to BC Chronicle

Your donation will support the student journalists of Billings Central Catholic High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.